These days many families are looking to downsize to smaller homes that are more manageable and cost-effective. The simplicity that comes with living small is alluring, but can be challenging as well. One of the most difficult things about moving to a smaller space is storage. Read on to discover five tips for smart storage in small spaces.
- Look up! When you’re dealing with a small footprint, it makes the most sense to think about vertical storage. Floor-to-ceiling shelving is your friend, as well as tall armoires. Just be sure to have a stepstool on hand!
- Get low. Avoid the under-the-bed mess and shop for storage containers specifically made to tuck underneath your bed to maximize this space. These containers come with a snap on lid that keeps out dust and rollers to make sliding them easy.
- Look for multi-purpose pieces. Make your furniture work harder for you by incorporating ottomans or side tables that allow for storage. Consider an old steamer trunk for a coffee table or a stack of vintage suitcases for an end table. You can fill these pieces with out of season clothing or other seldom-needed items.
- Give yourself a good edit. If your closet or cabinets are bursting at the seams it may be time to part with some things. If you haven’t worn it in a year, or if it’s just gathering dust, it is likely you won’t miss it when it’s gone. Keep in mind that storage in tiny spaces is like valuable real estate. Don’t fill these spaces with things you don’t absolutely need, and consider donating unwanted items to a local charity.
- Stay organized. If you live in a small space you likely know how easy it is for things to start to look cluttered. One or two items out of place and the whole room can start to look messy. Combat clutter by getting into the habit of putting items away once you’re finished with them.